International Water Ski Federation Olympic Issues
International Water Ski Federation
Why Water Skiing should be in the Olympics
Water Skiing is a modern sport practiced world-wide with approximately
30 million participants on a recreational basis. Over 75 countries
have formal Water Ski Federations organized to have competitions.
Our sport offers high energy, high power, and high speed all of
which televises well into an exciting presentation. Our athletes
are attractive and well conditioned as well as clearly performing
athletic moves that require speed, strength, and agility.
in a water ski competition requires different skills. Figure skiing
requires speed, grace, and agility. Slalom requires strength, timing,
and rhythm. Jump requires power, timing and courage. Each event
is unique in its presentation of the athlete's skills.
The judging of each event is based on objective, easily understood
criteria. In slalom, the score is strictly a count of the
buoys that the competitor skies around. In figures, the judges
only have to decide if each figure was done or not. The is
no type of form subjectivity. In jump, only the distance is
The format of a Water Ski competition lends itself to an Olympic
style competition of preliminaries and finals without burdening
the event with a huge number of athletes. In the Pan Am Games,
the contest was decided with fewer than 50 competitors.
In short, Water Skiing can provide many important attractive
attributes to the Summer Olympics. The thrill of a 200+ foot
jump with the speed and height of the skier's trajectory
is unmatched by any other summer sport on the program.
Water Skiing would be a wonderful addition to the program
of the Olympic Games.
Entry in to the Olympics
The IWSF is continuing its effort to become a part of the Olympic
Program. As we know, we were narrowly passed by for the 2000 Olympics
in Sydney. Our efforts should focus on the 2004 Games.
President Botero continues to be involved in this effort by
meeting with IOC members and becoming more involved
with the IOC. To add to this effort, every Federation should
become closely involved with their National Olympic Committee.
If your Federation is not affiliated with the NOC, you must take
steps immediately to do so. This is the single most important
thing that can be done at the local level to increase the international
awareness of the sport of Waterskiing.
At the current moment there are about 40 countries that are affiliated
with their NOC's. A list is included at the end of this document.
The next decision point for entry in the Olympics is in 1997 or
7 years before the games when the program is declared. As part of
this process, we must determine the bidding cities and verify
that they would encourage our sport as part of the program.
Please contact President Botero for information in this area.
Direct mail link to Andres Botero
Entry in to Regional Games
Waterskiing has been a participant in several Regional Games. The
most recent was the Pan American Games in Argentina. This proved
tremendously successful. Several new technologies such as
speed control and Video jump distance measurement were used with
great success. The tournament proved that Water Skiing was indeed
ready and able to participate in an Olympic Games. Currently
we are waiting for official confirmation of Water Skiing being on
the program of the 1999 Pan American Games in Winipeg, Canada.
Other Regional competitions are planned. I intend to list other
Regional Games that Water Skiing has participated in here.
IOC Events and Regional Games that had Water Skiing
- 1972 Olympic Games, Kiel, Germany (demonstration sport)
- All of the World Games starting at Santa Clara, CA, USA
- 1983 Southeast Asia Games, Singapore
- 1987 Southeast Asia Games, Indonesia
- 1995 Pan American Games, Argentina
Future Events that Water Skiing will participate in
- 1997 Mediterranean Games (demonstration sport)
- 1999 Pan AMerican Games, Winnipeg, Canada
- 1996 Police and Fire Games, Canada
- 1997 World Games, Lahti, Finland
Games that Water Skiing is working toward being included
- 1998 Goodwill Games, New York
- Caribbean and Central American Games, Maracaibo, Venezuela
- 2002 Asian Games, Dusan, Korea
- South East Asia Games
- 2004 Olympic Games
List of Federations Affiliated with their NOC(1994)
- THI Thailand Water Ski Association
- MAL The Waterskiers Society of Malaysia
- SIN Singapore Water Ski Association
- BER Bermuda Water Ski Association
- CHI Chile Water Ski Association
- CHN Chinese Water Ski Association
- BEL Belgian Water Ski Federation
- GBR British Water Ski Federation
- TPE Chinese Taipei Water Ski Association
- CAN Water Ski Canada
- AUS Australian Water Ski Federation
- SAF South African Water Ski Federation
- LUX Union Luxembougease de Ski Nautique
- COL Federacion Colombiana de Esqui Nautica
- SWE Svenska Vattenskidforbundet
- KOR Korean Water Ski Association
- ITA Italian Water Ski Federation
- GER German Waterski Federation
- USA American Water Ski Association
- CYP Cyprus Water Ski Federation
- TCH Ceskoslovensky svaz vodniho lyzovani
- DEN Danish Water Ski Federation
- GOR Water Ski Federation of Georgia
- NOR Norwegian Water Ski Federation
- HGK Hong Kong Waterski Association
- MEX Federacion Mexicana De Esqui Acuatico
- FRA Federation Francaise de Ski Nautique
- ARG Federacion Argentina de Esqui Nautico